November 12, 2017

Not A Marvel Series

Well after tragically losing time do to my watching the show I'm going to make highlights on. I find myself writing this at two A.M. After watching my way through all of the Marvel Netflix shows, I decided I had to do something totally different. So naturally I chose the show that everyone is always talking about, Stranger Things.

Stranger Things is the horror, thriller, suspense show that people won't stop talking about. It doesn't matter if you've seen it or not, someone has definitely spoiled things for you. It is a show that is kind of funny to write about. The best way to watch the show is to go in as blindly as possible. Minor spoiler warning ahead.

The show is set in the 80's, in a small town, with a mysterious government operation set up near it. The plot really gets kicked off when a boy named Will goes missing. Soon after some of Will's friends (I'm just going to call them the Loser's Club), find a girl with telekinetic powers going by the name Eleven. The show clearly draws inspiration from a lot of government conspiracies, most of them outright stated. This is always a good idea in my mind, it makes the story slightly closer to home while adding intrigue and an alien feel, all at the same time.

I really don't like talking about actors, but the kids in particular are well written and acted. I've never been a huge user , or advocate of them as a child, but kids swearing is so natural. I can't stand it when kids in movies are angels, naive, and stupid, it just isn't right. Kids are actually quite smart when they put their minds to things, and more than that, they are devils at times.

Big thing I want to talk about is a slight thing I've begun to notice after my three episode session of the show. This movie seems to have an obsession with doubles, and counterparts. The monster, is referred to as the Demigorgon. I do have a knowledge of Dungeons and Dragons, and I can tell you that the Demigorgon in universe has two heads. There are two worlds, I've picked up on the fact that the other world is basically a copy of ours. The research lab is doubling as a company and a government conspiracy. Of course Eleven, two ones, same way forwards and backwards.

I'm not sure how correct any of this is, but I'm quite certain the monster and Eleven are one in the same. Whenever the monster appears or Eleven uses her powers, lights begin to flicker, and electronics stop working. Also a few scenes of theirs have some parallels in what they do and the way scenes are shot. I'm not saying they're the same thing, but they're definitely connected. Although this may be obvious to some I felt like it was worth mentioning.


I do like this show. I do recommend it, I'm not sure if the show is trying to say something or if I'm over analyzing again. But seeing as duality is already showing to be a constant theme, we can make the assumption that I am correct. It will be next week before I can verify my guesses, but I actually do for once plan on watching this all the way through.

No comments:

Post a Comment