November 16, 2017

Fearless (Episode 1)

Hi, Grandpa. I'm glad to have you know I'm coming home for all of next week for Thanksgiving break. However, speaking of college, one of my classes has me write "posts" for TV show or movies to certain people designated every week. This week, we're to write to an older family member, and you were the first to come to mind. Now, I tried looking for a show that either involved farming, westerns, or baseball, but I couldn't find it. But eventually I found something that might work: Fearless.

Fearless is a documentary about the PBR, the Professional Bull Riding League. Specifically, it focuses on the contestants of the PBR world championship, as well as their backstories and personal lives, as well as the origins of the rodeo, the league, and the rodeo on a national scale, such as the Barretos festival in Brazil. Speaking of Brazil, I've only seen the first episode of the series, and this first episode focuses largely on the Brazilian competitors and their mark on the sport of bull riding. Unfortunately, the only Brazilian bull rider whose name I can remember is Silvano Alves, 3-time championship title holder, who unfortunately suffered a serious injury to his pelvis which seemed to have greatly affected his bull riding skills. However, at the end of episode, when the Barretos festival is on its way and Silvano is about to go for round 2, the episode abruptly ends on a cliffhanger. I may possibly continue watching the series sometime.

The show seems to portray bull riding as something majestic and awe-inspiring (which, frankly, it pretty much is considering they risk their lives in this sport). A lot of the bull riding footage is slowed down and the sound is either turned down or ambient, and even at one point a cracking sound plays alongside the crowd gasping as one bull rider gets stamped on after falling off. And a lot of the bull riders talk about how not only dangerous it is, but also how exhilarating it is, and that fear is the one thing keeping ordinary people from bull riding. It can get pretty emotional and breath-taking.

Overall, I may probably continue watching the series sometime in the future, and I would very much recommend this show to you, although you have to go on Netflix (which I'll probably explain to you at Thanksgiving), and you don't have anything that Netflix can be streamed onto, so I'd most likely have to bring something over to your house that I can play it on, although when exactly I'd do that I'm not sure. Maybe during Thanksgiving break or AT Thanksgiving, maybe winter break, or maybe some other time, but I do want to show it to you. Another thing I need to note is that a lot of the dialogue in this episode is in Portuguese, so you'll probably need subtitles for a majority of it. But other than that, I want to show you this show as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment