November 12, 2017

Atypical

Atypical is a Netflix original based on a family of four, whose son is on the autistic spectrum. I had heard a lot of buzz about the show, but overall it left me underwhelmed. Most of the scenes felt very scripted, forced, and predictable.  The part that I believe was done the best was the portrayal of the relationship between the father, Doug, and the son, Sam. During a dinner date scene where the parents, Doug and Elsa, are talking and communicating effectively, Doug heatedly recounts Sam’s ninth birthday party.  He built an igloo in the backyard in an attempt to connect with his son. Ultimately, Sam refused to go into it due to improper alignment of the bricks. This feels typical to struggles everyone has faced trying to make a connection with someone, regardless of any different abilities that they may have. Most frequently this is applicable to people who have strained relationships that try and do things for one another and don’t get the recognition that they feel they deserve. They aren’t fulfilled by the attempt of the act itself, but rather are looking for the acceptance and admiration from their target person. The scene at the end between Doug and Sam is my favorite part of the episode, and maybe a part where we see the attempts come into play. You can tell that Doug is trying exceptionally hard with Sam and takes him somewhere that he knows he will like, an aquarium with penguins. This is also something that everyone who is trying to connect with someone tries to do, take an interest in what they are passionate about. The lighting in the aquarium plays around with the tones of the dialogue a bit. When the camera focuses on just Doug and Sam it almost feels like there is a filter on them, like things are slightly yellow tinged and hazy. However, when the focus shifts to the animals, they are crystal clear. The sharpness and attention to detail on them is pristine, as if we are viewing them through Sam’s eyes. The changes in lighting may allude to the fact that things between Doug and Sam are fuzzy, but moments are crystal clear between them.

The haziness of the lighting shows up in another place during the episode, this time without connotation to Sam. The lighting in Elsa’s dance class is strong, providing backlight behind them. The light surrounding the dancers through the window makes it seem hazy at different points. This may correspond to the statement she later makes about escaping her life through this dance class. It gives an ambiance of a dream like state. I was surprised that she accepted the invitation to go to the bar for drinks after the class. However when she got there, I almost accurately predicted what would happen between her and the bartender. The lighting in there was almost opposite of the dance studio. It was exceptionally dark, while still backlit and hazy. Overall I liked the show, and can see some good elements that hopefully they develop throughout this first season.  

1 comment:

  1. Alison,

    First this class you are taking sounds interesting! I wish I could have taken a class like this in college.

    I am sorry to hear that you were not as taken by the show as some others were. I have heard a lot of uproar over the show and was considering watching it myself. However, after your post, I feel I may become frustrated with the portrayal of the autism spectrum. As I worked with children on the spectrum every day, I am constantly on the lookout for shows that represent my children accurately and respectfully. If you are looking for a show that does well to depict this, I suggest Parenthood or The Good Doctor.

    I liked your description of the cinematography of the show though. Your interpretation made me think about other shows I watch with similar effects.

    Keep studying hard! You are almost there!

    Ms. Dossett

    ReplyDelete