October 8, 2017

Jessica Jones AKA Accordion Show

Jessica Jones, wow um, I'm not entirely sure what to say. I feel like I should equate this to an accordion show, because no one should watch it, whoops guess I revealed my opinions a little too early. Don't worry the show did that as well. I'm about a quarter of the way through the series, and I really don't want to watch anymore. For a show that should be incredibly intriguing, unpredictable, and exciting I only managed to feel bored. Boring is how I would describe the show, that and predictable. I get that I'm only about a quarter of the way in but I have yet to be surprised or delighted.

The plot follows super powered, private eye, Jessica Jones, as she tracks down the villain Kilgrave. While dealing with her post traumatic incidents with said character. The show heavily falls in the noire, superhero, and draws on psychological thriller genres. Well this is a recipe for a good show and has all the elements of a good show. It seems to be lacking an enjoyable quality to me. I want to like it I really do, but this is me telling you why I don't like it.

I personally feel that Jessica is a very interesting character in plot. In show however she is a very boring, dull, and flat character. She seems to exist in scenes to progress the plot and let the way more interesting characters bounce off of her, or her to let out the occasional witty remark. There are moments that she does shine, and those moments are the psychological thriller aspects of the show. Clearly the show writers have dealt with, know, or have simply talked to people who have dealt with both anxiety and PTSD. From my experience with [redacted] this portrayal is one of the closest I have seen to reality, and is by far one of the best parts of this show, shame they don't utilize it in enough interesting ways.

I think we should talk about the only other real highlight of the show so far, the villain Kilgrave. So Kilgrave and Jessica have a rather unpleasant shared history, that involves things I shouldn't say for fear that I will be removed from the site. I like this guy, off screen atleast. On screen he's not all that interesting, (although the actor is very good),and I feel like he was revealed too early. Off screen however, he has this magical cinematic power that gives him a presence in almost every scene. Even if he feels a little generic his portrayal is quite strong in the power he holds over Jessica.


So I asked around for what people liked about the show, and they gave me a few answers. One of my friends loves that we finally have a female protagonist who's main trait isn't that she's a woman. Yeah I agree that works in the favor of all media, I have nothing against that statement and I agree with it. The other one I hear the most is that its a full on rated R superhero, and I have some thoughts on that. Everything they have shown so far can be tackled in a PG 13 or TV 14 rating. I've seen more sexually explicit content shown in PG 13 movies and a few shows that cover PTSD and anxiety at the TV 14 level. Drinking and purchasing alcohol won't push the grade so what makes it so high? All I've got is blood and a lot of swearing. Well please put the brakes on this roller coaster, I don't think my heart can handle the boundaries you're pushing Jones.

No comments:

Post a Comment