October 8, 2017

Bossgirl

     I was casually scrolling through Netflix and found Bossgirl. I am unsure about how I feel just yet but I know the main character could use some maturing. I only watched the first episode but I believe that Sophia will conquer whatever is thrown her way through willpower.
    Bossgirl begins with the song, "The Wild One" and I knew that the main character was going to have some spunk and indeed, she does. The first line of the song is “All my life I've wanted to be somebody and here I am.” So those few words I knew that the main character would have issues finding herself and I was correct. She dealt with eviction notices, being fired, and not having the greatest appearance. She was a rebel, which was another song that played through the series that described her too well. She was fired from her job because she was too much of a rebel. Her boss yelled at her and she thought it was only right to yell back at her but that's not wise to do in the workplace. Consequently, Sophia’s reckless decisions does not put her in a desirable place which is why she struggled so much with life and hasn't matured yet. However, that does not mean she doesn't have a plan, and the song, “I Have a Dream, explains that very well. There's a scene in Bossgirl where Sophia meets with her father, saying that she'll have things together soon. Her father wants her to move back in with him because he doesn't believe that she can make it on her own. Sophia however, knows that he doesn't believe in her and wants to prove to him otherwise. Even though Sophia does not make wise decisions, I have faith that she'll soon understand the way of adult life.
    Sohpia is not a main character that I can relate to so it was difficult for me to understand what she was going through. However, Sophia is still trying to better herself. She encounters an old woman on the bench while waiting on the bus and said that, “Adulthood is where dreams go to die.” So she believes that once she became an adult, that anything she dreamt of before, will never be possible. Throughout the episode, I felt like she was one step closer to changing that belief. The dinner with her father helped her realize that maybe adulthood isn't where dreams go to die, especially when someone doubts you. Instead, it gives you that extra motivation you needed to fulfil that dream.
    Bossgirl is definitely different from shows that I usually watch but I'd be willing it give it a chance. Sophia gave me the impression that she's willing to change even though she isn't the greatest person. If her dad doesn't believe in her then maybe her viewers will. 

1 comment:

  1. I think you did a great job of pointing out the things she need to change but also pointing out the things that she does well. However, she does sound awful and I'm usually all for the rebel but I do think that she will overcome all of her childish ways. I would keep watching it if I were you, I might even watch it myself.

    ReplyDelete