September 17, 2017

Master of None


            This week I decided to check out the first episode of the show Master of None. I was initially drawn in because I have seen other things that Aziz Ansari is in and I find him to be extremely funny, so I figured this show would be too. Certain elements of the first show surprised me, like the picture on the cover of it, a black and white photo of Aziz on a bike. That made me wonder just what the show was about, because I honestly had no idea, and it almost gave me a vibe that the show was a bit more serious. Don’t worry though it definitely is not. The other thing that surprised me was the title sequence. It was very short and had an interesting song to go with it. They also chose to put the credits at the beginning of the show, which I actually thought was pretty cool. It kind of reminds me of our conversation in class the other day about credits and how no one actually takes the time to watch them, so by adding them in quickly at the beginning of the episode people will be much more likely to notice them and give credit where it’s due, which I think is super important!

            The plot line of this first episode involves Aziz hooking up with a girl and then almost accidentally getting her pregnant when the condom breaks. The rest of the episode basically consists of Aziz having an existential crisis of trying to decide if he wants to have kids or not. Just when he thinks he’s made up his mind, something will happen that causes him to be confused all over again. It’s honestly pretty relatable in that way, because I feel like that’s something that everyone goes through. Maybe not so drastically and switching opinions so many times in such a short time, but in general it’s something that everyone thinks about. It was definitely a very comedic take on this issue that plagues everyone when they’re young. Should I have kids? When and how many? How do I know when I am no longer a child and can therefore have one of my own??? It brought up a point that very much explains where I am in my life as far as this goes. Kids are so awesome and fun to hang out with at times, but it’s also really nice to be able to hand them back to their parents when you get tired out from it all. That’s why I enjoy things like babysitting and having little cousins/nieces and nephews to hang out with when I need my own kid fix. As far as having my own at this point, I am just way too selfish for that right now, and I also can barely take care of myself let alone another completely dependent human being. This reminds me of the very last bit of the episode which was sort of a weird way to end it in my opinion but I also got what they were going for. He was at a friend’s house whose kids he had been watching for the day, and they were finally sitting down to have a dinner. The kid’s mom had brought home some really good looking sandwiches, but the kids had a different idea. They wanted to make their own sandwiches, complete with peanut butter, lettuce, and ketchup. Of course their mom ate the sandwich they made instead of the really good one as any good mom would do, but when the kids tried to offer Aziz his sandwich along with a really adorable picture they had drawn him, he thought about it and then said, “That actually looks really disgusting, I’m gonna eat this other delicious looking sandwich.” I think it’s safe to say by the end of the episode he had decided he is indeed not ready for kids just yet.

1 comment:

  1. Having seen this episode I totally got what you meant by having that debate with yourself! I'm definitely currently on the side of Aziz, not even ready to think about having kids yet. I'd love to read a little bit more about what you'd do had you been in Aziz's shoes, and if it helped you decide at all if you wanted kids.

    ReplyDelete