September 22, 2017

Girl Boss (Edited)

Hey Barney, I think I may have found your opposition. After seeing many ads for the show on YouTube and various other platforms, I decided to watch the first episode of the series Girl Boss. I have yet to hear about anyone actually talk about this show, as it is one of Netflix’s less popular shows. In this episode, we’re introduced to our main character Sophia. She’s shown as rebellious, selfish, and quite a slacker. She’s the typical character that most people would hate, yet want to know she ends up. Basically, she's just like you. We learn that she’s a college drop out, trying to figure out what she wants to do, and who she wants to be. She has a love for vintage clothes, and a hate towards any higher-ups.
I feel as though the creators of this show decided to take a spin at creating the protagonist, by making her someone that no one wants to like, and yet the audience still wants to know where she will go wrong next. In the first episode, she's seen hooking up with this guy, and it seems like they're about to have a one night stand. Until, she stops him, just before things "start getting good". I would love to see how you would handle a girl in this sort of situation, a womanizer like yourself. She seems to be playing pretty hard to get. However, I think she’s a character that would definitely need to be developed a bit more, as this is only the first episode. For this only being one step in her journey, I think there are a lot of directions the creators could take.
One of the most interesting things I found about the show was that it is based on true events. More specifically, about Sophia Amoruso and show she came to create the brand Nasty Gal. I know you're Mister Fashionista yourself, you've probably heard of the brand. However, at the introduction of the show, it says it's “very loose” in reference to how true the events are. When shows are based off true events, I’m sure the creators change up a few things no matter what. I’m interested to know what prompted them to add in the “very loose” part at the beginning.
I feel as though one of the most major things needed in order to appreciate this show for what it is would be a love and eye for fashion. After foreshadowed clues and Sophia’s big sale at the end of the episode, it’s clear that Sophia is gonna try her hand at the fashion industry, mainly in resale fashion and vintage styles. While it’s clear that not everyone will take an interest in clothing, I personally love the idea of second hand buying and looking for steals to take advantage of. While you also know how to dress yourself, you two have clearly different styles. I'd love to hear what you have to say about her take on fashion. In that, as much as I’m not sure if I like Sophia at all, I’m still intrigued by what she does and how she’ll go about reselling these clothes.
Girl Boss seems as though, from the outside, it’s a show about a girl standing up to the system. However, to me, it’s a show about deception and taking advantage. Which, in a weird way, I’m really interested in. I know I’m gonna hate Sophia no matter what at this point, and yet I want to watch her and her journey, and see where she, and her business, will end up. I could definitely see you, Barney, being a friend of hers. I would say maybe more than a friend, but I don't think even you could crack a girl like that. You should check her out for yourself! Until next time, my friend.

1 comment:

  1. Umm, first of all Caroline, I'd like to address the fact that you say I couldn't get with this girl. You should know me well enough by now to know that no seemingly hard to get girl is too hard for Barney to get. Anyway, as far as this show goes, it sounds like a pretty cool one that I could see myself checking out one of these days. I'd like to a) see how hot this chick is and if she's worth the chase and b) see what you're talking about fashion-wise because because nothing is better than my suits. Anyway, good talking to you as always. Barney OUT

    ReplyDelete