September 18, 2017

Bojack and His Consequences

As I continue this journey through the world of Bojack Horseman, I began to notice something about Bojack, and this animated show world. Bojack truly cannot see anyone else’s feelings or the consequences of his actions. In the most recent episode I watched, Bojack has finally realized he cares for his ghost writer, Diane, so he gets blackout drunk constantly, and steals the D from Hollywood, leaving it as Hollywoo. After that, her boyfriend proposes to her and Bojack loses it. He then gets even more drunk, to the point where he begins to bother his ex-girlfriend and manager, Princess Carolyn. Bojack starts to believe that him and Princess Carolyn belong together. He begins to bother her, even ditching her as his manager in the hopes they can be together. He chases her down and almost makes it work, till he gets a haunting call from someone, and drops everything, including Princess Carolyn. She almost lost her job and her pride, and tried to make it work, just for him to ditch her once again.
What I realized about Bojack Horseman, and something that I love, is that there is real repercussions for everyone in the show. In animated shows, when something big happens, it will almost always return to the way it was. However, since the D was stolen, the city has stayed as Hollywoo, and that is how it’s going to stay. It adds another interesting layer to the TV show, and makes you want to keep watching after every episode.

Overall, I have to say that Bojack Horseman is becoming a favorite. I’ve begun to watch it with my roommate and some friends, and it's become tradition. While everyone may hate Bojack in the show, I love his character, as well as all of the characters in the show.

1 comment:

  1. Bruce,

    I love the perspective you have on the animated series! You give your own interpretation to the story and it's awesome. I can definitely agree with you: Bojack's character is so bad it's good. As viewers, we can sometimes relate to his thoughts, words, and sometimes actions. And as people, we will stumble upon individuals who have Bojack's charisma. In fact, all the characters have similar traits to people I know in real life. I’m excited to keep reading the different posts you write on this blog, and others as well!

    ReplyDelete