September 17, 2017

Disjointed

I have scrolled past Disjointed multiple times since acquiring access to Netflix. At first glance, I assumed that it was a documentary of sorts, and I just never found myself interested. At least until a friend of mine enthusiastically brought it up in conversation. I caved in and decided to watch it once I finally understood the setup and plot line of the show.

Disjointed is an average cheesy sitcom about a medicinal marijuana dispensary owner, Ruth, accompanied by her employees, as well as their weed-related business ventures and shenanigans. The show offers commentary on weed culture as it depicts various issues and stereotypes such as legalization, the everyday effects it that it has on users, and the way marijuana use is viewed by non-users, among other things. With the short scenes, the random scenes in the middle of the show that have absolutely nothing to do with the plot, it is quite obvious to note that the show is structured specifically for stoners, as can be assumed for most non-educational pieces of work that focus on pot.

Episode one of season one found me experiencing a plethora of thoughts. Initially, I found myself overwhelmed with excitement to watch such a seemingly groundbreaking show. The show successfully caught my attention. However, it also succeeded in losing my attention just as fast. The first episode quickly became dry and I couldn’t finish the single 25 minute episode in one sitting. Now, this happens to me very frequently with shows and movies, but it usually takes me no longer than a day to return to whatever I’m watching at the time. I did not return to Disjointed for about a week, and my return was reluctant. However, I trudged on through to the second and third episodes.

Though the second and third episodes still found me somewhat bored, I could not help but admire the charm that this show has. The show is interesting in a “I wonder what THC pun they’ll make next” way. Or a “what kind of hemp-based product will they educate us on now” way. So while yes, it can be a little cringe-worthy and dry at moments, the show does have its defining qualities.

One thing about stoner media is that it is not required to be of high quality. With ease, any viewer, marijuana user or not, can experience Disjointed and notice the tactics employed to communicate with its target demographic. The show is a novelty. It is an interesting take on sitcoms and weed culture and by crossing the two, it makes a different strain of entertainment altogether. Though Disjointed is not necessarily impressive or of high quality, it is still something that I would encourage most anyone (save for anti-cannabis activists) to watch.

1 comment:

  1. This is a fascinating description of Disjointed! I've never seen the show, but I think it's very interesting that media is evolving to match the growing cultural trend of recreational marijuana use here in the US. I'm now curious to watch a few episodes of the show, and I'd also love to know how it has been received by its target demographic. I would imagine that the idea of mixing the familiar format of a sitcom with stoner culture is a good one, and it seems like it would work well.

    ReplyDelete