October 1, 2017

Haters Back Off

     A fairly new series on Netflix, Haters Back Off, is a comedy but there was nothing comedic about it, not even the terrible acting. The ratings on Netflix said that I had a 91% match for this show but after watching the first episode, I'm 100% sure I'll never watch another episode of Haters Back Off again. 
     The storyline is not clear at all. The show began with the main character, Miranda, singing pitifully to a video camera someone is recording her on. Throughout the episode, Miranda anxiously waited for reviews to come but they never did until the end of the episode. The confusion is her purpose for the video that she's uploading in the first place. Why is she so determined to get views on this horrendous video of hers? Why would she want anyone to see that video and why is it so important? Without being able to clearly follow the storyline, made it very difficult to focus on what I was watching.
     The role of the characters are unclear. Miranda cannot possibly think that her high pitched voice is appealing to the human ear. It's just impossible unless she has a condition that was not specified in the first episode of the series.  Unless that's the punchline of the show...I sure hope not. Secondly, it took the series some time to verify what family member was recording Miranda singing in the opening of the episode. Miranda’s mom made a comment about her and who I learned to be her uncle Jim, discussing things that could've been taken the wrong way if they were out in public. At first glance, a person would believe that Jim was her father because typically when there's a man and a woman in the house, you'd think husband and wife but not in this case. It wasn't until towards the end of the episode that I found out the guy in the house was Miranda's uncle, which made some of the scenes obscure.
     One thing I noticed in the series is the depiction of the way mother's are treated in today's society. Miranda is very rude to her mother and that made it that much more difficult for me to watch. Miranda speaks to her mother as an equal, actually even less than that. Consequently, I believe shows like this give children the approval of treating their parents as if they're equals. It was frustrating because I give my mother the utmost respect so it was uncomfortable watching Miranda speak to her mother that way. 
    I would not recommend anyone to watch this show because it's absurd and strange. Haters Back Off is not a family comedy, it's the exact opposite. The punchlines are not funny; the main character is different but not in a pleasant way, therefore, I could not relate to her. A show is not enjoyable if you can't relate to the main character which is why I struggled watching it. I survived the first episode but honestly, I don't think I could tolerate watching another episode of Haters Back Off.

No comments:

Post a Comment