September 10, 2017

Two Halves of an Unusual Whole

Two Halves of an Unusual Whole
Dear Classmate,
For this blog post, I watched Grace and Frankie, I am not really sure what I expected but I really enjoyed it. I usually watch animated shows and romcoms but I decided to watch a live-action show in light of our recent chapter reading. I really enjoyed the way they tied two very different characters together as they went through the same obstacles. There was a constant compare and contrast that was really telling of the characters. It was very opposite but there was almost a subtlety to the differences. I thought it was interesting the way the audience was brought back and forth very smoothly and yet with very little interaction between the characters. It was challenging to connect to what they were experiencing as a whole but there were little bits and pieces that were very easy to relate to. I was surprised with the characters’ usage of profanity and drugs. I thought it was daring but realistic and a very important aspect to include. The show was a big mix-mash that was held together by emotions. There was a very large disconnect and yet there was a very clear connection if that makes sense. I really enjoyed seeing the different ways the women responded and it made me wonder which of the two I would more likely replicate. This particular blog is pretty challenging because I don’t want to dive into the plot. I think that Grace and Frankie, was really well done and the way the episode concluded really made me want to watch the next one. There was one scene that was really interesting and powerful to me. Grace was sitting at her bathroom vanity, removing her false eyelashes, her hair extension, and two objects that I didn’t even know what were. I don’t even know why I felt that scene was so important but I could feel it somehow. Like the equivalent of a tired soldier that has just come home and removed all his armor. I thought it was interesting how it felt like the characters’ were acting outside of their respective norms yet still within their characters’ personas. It must have been challenging for the actresses because of the line between abnormal for the characters’ and just unrealistic for the characters’. I feel like this show is geared for a female audience. It is difficult to think about when Netflix was producing this what audience did they have in mind. There is almost a young progressive millennial kind of feel to it but the characters’ are elderly women. It is a daring mix, considering the stereotype for the typical American senior citizen. Especially, considering politics in this day and age. Netflix has gotten pretty ballsy. It was kind of interesting it felt like the show was supposed to be comedic but with very serious undertones. I would highly recommend this show simply because it is so unique in content. This show is not typical in any way. I am very curious how the show will continue from where it stopped. Anywho, sorry I was a little late this week this was one of my more challenging posts.
Thanks,

happylittlepenguin

1 comment:

  1. Having never seen the show before, I definitely would've liked to have a little more background as to what was going on, and maybe some premise to set the scene. While you make some, what I assume to be good points about the show, I'd like to hear more of the meaning behind each point you bring up, such as why the ending of the show made you want to continue. This post has provoked a little curiosity, as now I would like to know what this show is all about, so I may have to look into it more.

    ReplyDelete