September 14, 2017

Sense8

This week I took on Sense8, a seemingly sci-fi with a broad array of characters with different backgrounds, locations, races, etc.. The beginning serves as a shock factor, as we witness a woman kill herself, leaving us with so many unanswered questions. Out of all the pilots I’ve watched thus far, this one has definitely left me feeling the most intrigued.
I say this show is seemingly sci-fi as I’m not 100% sure where this show truly falls yet. I’ve seen plenty of other shows where, after the first episode, I’m not sure what sort of show I’m watching, or what genre it could be, but this one I feel does that right. I often get confused watching shows, deciding whether or not it should be a comedy, action, or whatever else. While I will say this show is not in a certain category for me (yet) I feel like it does it right. I left the episode feeling like the creators wanted it to be up for interpretation, and that you had to come back to find out more, what course it would take, where the characters would end up.
The characters had such a great impact on the show, that even if I barely know their names, where they’re from, or what their background is, all of them gave so much that I wanted to know them more. I wanted to follow them and learn more about them, cheer them on even if they were doing so pretty illegal stuff. Each of them had such a compelling story, and I can’t wait to see how they all connect with each other. They all contribute to the mystery factor of the show. Towards the end of the episode, Riley and Will are shown interacting with each other, despite being in completely different countries at the time. We never get an explanation as to how Riley ended up in America, and it’s left to a point where we want to know more.
Lastly, I was captivated by the cinematography as a whole. Having recently read this chapter, there is a lot to be commented on. The usage of color and overall tone varied from scene to scene. I felt as though this was used to reflect the character and their emotions and background. For example, when we first meet Nomi and Amanita, they make usage of the colors at pride. They’re shown as happy and loving. Meanwhile, as we first meet Angelica, she’s laying in the dark, very little color reflecting her, and even the soundtrack reflects her as it’s horrific and negative. Each character comes with a different background, personality, and story, and the creators seem to want to showcase it through their scene design.
Sense8 has a lot thrown at you all at once, and the pilot leaves viewers with so many unanswered questions. Therefore, I would recommend this show, especially if you need something to binge watch. I definitely would like to continue watching this series, as I have already become pretty enveloped in these characters!

2 comments:

  1. It sounds pretty interesting! I've always been a fan of character driven shows, so I think this sounds like I could potentially like it a lot. I also really like what you said about the cinematography-- that always makes a show so much more interesting when it looks good. I haven't actually heard too much about this show, but your post has made me want to look into it and learn a little bit more. Thanks, Caroline!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a fairly broad review of the show, but I personally wanted to hear more specific examples about the aspects of this show that made you "intrigued" (rather than just saying "so much" or other vague phrases). When you said, "Each character comes with a different background, personality, and story, and the creators seem to want to showcase it through their scene design," I wanted to read an entire blog post just focusing on these specific details. You went into more depth discussing the colors of the show, but it would be more helpful to me as the reader if you explained your thoughts further there.

    ReplyDelete