September 16, 2017

A Series of Unfortunate Events

So, in lieu of having to watch the first four minutes of A Series of Unfortunate Events for an assignment that we did in class, I was particularly intrigued in the first four minutes that I wanted to see the rest of it, and coming from someone who's never read the books, this opinion will be not only be solely based on from what I've seen in the show, but also what I've seen in the first episode, as it may or may not represent the series as a whole.
And what I was presented with was more or less of a mixed bag. Starting with the most apparent feature of the show is the cinematography and sets. As the story proclaims numerous times throughout that this is not a happy story, that can be seen very clearly in the cinematography and coloring of the scenes. Shots are typically in drab and muted colors, while very few shots (such as the judge's house) are in pure color. The most prevalent showcasing of this being nearly any scene within Count Olaf's home, as it is typically dark and full of grays and blacks. The camera work is also very interesting, as shots are typically steady (even in moving shots) and very horizontal, with lots of details in the background. The camera work is very reminiscent of something that Wes Anderson would film.
Now let's move on to the acting in the show, and this is where the "mixed bag" comes in. Neil Patrick Harris as Count Olaf is okay, which means a lot as I did not expect him to be any good as Olaf, and Joan Cusack as Justice Strauss was wonderful. But Patrick Warburton as Lemony Snicket/The Narrator was just fantastic, with him going as far as being my favorite part of the whole episode. But here's where problems start. The kids playing Klaus and Violet are just terrible. I know that they are children and acting would be harder for them, but they didn't even seem to try. When they're told that their parents died in a fire that burned down their mansion, and even when they go to examine the burned down mansion, they don't even look that sad, not even any tears. And towards the end of the episode, something happens to Klaus (which I'm not going to spoil) that should make him cry, but he just sounds slightly more stuffy than usual. Most other times, they're usually just very flat, and the man the plays the banker is kind of underwhelming in his performance, too.
The writing is also in the middle of the road.  A lot of the jokes did make me either chuckle or laugh, though some did fall flat. But otherwise, save for Patrick Warburton's narration, the writing didn't really click for me. A lot of the characters kind of seemed stereotypically terrible, and as I said, the kids are typically flat in their performances and mixed with some lackluster dialogue, it doesn't make for much of an experience, save for the numerous jokes throughout.
Now, chances are that some of these complaints can be argued using the book as a reference, like some of the stuff in the episode is made that way because of how it is in the book. Well, I might pick up the books sometime as I hear they're quite reliant on dark humor and are typically praised by critics and audiences alike. As for the show, I may end up watching the next episode, although it may be hesitant and largely because of the cinematography, the jokes, and Patrick Warburton.

2 comments:

  1. Given the description in the blog post, I think that the show would be worth giving a shot. I have seen the old movie and have read the first book, so I have a solid foundation of what to expect. I honestly did not know they had made a series recently for the books, which is quite interesting. I think a narrator is one of the most underappreciated aspects of entertainment such as television and movies, so to hear that he was one of the best parts is great. I think that the beginning was well-summarized enough to get a grasp on if I would want to watch, and I think based off of the praise on Neil Patrick Harris as Lemony Snicket and the atmosphere depicted that I will watch the pilot.

    ReplyDelete