March 25, 2018

Is The Game Really Over?



Game Over, Man Is a brand new Netflix Original show, featuring the cast of hit TV show Workaholics. The film follows a group of friends, that have a housekeeping job at a hotel. The average work day is compromised when a group of skilled mercenaries hold the hotel hostage, in return for 500 million dollars. The group of friends, in a hilarious sequence of events, attempt to bring down this mercenary group. Game Over, Man is a non stop thrill ride that will leave you laughing in tears.

The biggest thing that drew me to this movie was the cast. As a huge long time fan of Workaholics, I knew that this movie would have similar taste. The fact of it having similar taste, is why it drew me to watch the film. The trailer appeared on Netflix a few weeks ago, and I watched it numerous times. I knew that as soon as this movie came out, I would have to watch it. The movie was very similar to the show they star in, which made it very relatable. The thing that I found enjoyable, was they played very similar roles to themselves in Workaholics. But, an issue with playing similar roles, is that it is hard to contrast the two different characters. For instance, I was only able to see “Blake” from Workaholics instead of “Joel” in Game Over, Man.

The comedy of the movie was hilarious. I found myself laughing more at this film, than any other film I have watched recently. The style of the comedy is very risque. It is a type of comedy that is more dark and not suited for everyone. For example, there is a severed penis that is thrown at a character in the film. This is a style of comedy that I particularly enjoy. Aside from the darkness of comedy this movie had to offer, the comedic side also had incredible one-liners and dialogue that will leave your gut busted.

One thing that I wished the movie had, was a stronger developed story. The reasoning of this statement, is that the film is only one night. The movie starts with the group cleaning rooms, and then the plot starts from there, almost immediately. The movie didn’t take place anywhere else, but the hotel. This leads to a story that is underdeveloped. This left the movie ending not being as impactful, because of the lack of character development alone. In my opinion, better character and story development would have added to the impact this movie had. This could have made it a fantastic film instead of a good movie.

Game Over, Man is another example of the great work put out in Netflix’s Originals. The comedy was fluent of laughs and the plot was something unique. This is a film that I would recommend to all of my friends (and already have). After watching this film, I hope to see this cast in a future Netflix Original comedy. Game Over, Man is a film worth watching.

1 comment:

  1. I really liked the part about the darkness of the comedy, that was also my favorite part of the movie.

    ReplyDelete