March 31, 2018

Stranger Things

I’m extremely late to the party on this one- but I just watched Stranger Things for the first time Saturday afternoon. My twelve year old sister is obsessed and has been begging me to start the series for months now. I finally agreed to sit down and watch it with her, and I hate to admit that I kind of enjoyed it. First of all, I love the 1980’s and any show that is set in the ‘80s is right up my alley.

Since the show is set in the ‘80s it has a very nostalgic feel to it, with extremely dark and futuristic undertones. The futuristic characteristics with eleven and the others don’t seem to blend particularly well with the time period. I also feel like though if it was placed in a different time period the characters would be asking a lot more questions sooner. In the 1980’s people had more of a mask of innocence that nothing bad would ever happen to them or their families. They would never think of anything futuristic as well. If this show was placed in the present I feel as if the characters would be more attuned to the possibilities of scientific creativity. So the writers were probably exactly right to place this show in the time period that they did.

Placing the show in a small midwestern town is also very cliche. Obviously, they don’t have the police force or the capabilities to do the types of investigations that are needed when a child goes missing. This is typical I feel like for these types of shows. Will’s mom is obviously going insane about her son disappearing out of thin air, and the cops really treat her like she’s overreacting at first. She is completely hysterical about her youngest son going missing and they dismiss her as being crazy initially.

The flashbacks to eleven when she was still in the laboratory has me asking constant questions. Mainly about the older man that seems to be running or in charge of the experiments that are obviously taking place on her. There is obviously so much hurt in her eyes that is kills me everytime they zoom in on her dark brown eyes.

Overall, I think that this was very thoroughly made show that I am looking forward to binge watching the rest of my time here at home. I am excited to keep watching and hopefully have many of my questions answered.

1 comment:

  1. I also love series and movies from the 80s and 90s! Great time period! I have yet to see stranger things but it seems similar to other series from this time period when you talked about people not looking towards the future. Seems to me that during that time people thought nothing way going to change and that you just live your life day to day and that was it. Might have to start the series! Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete