February 21, 2018

From Weed to Wins, Coach Snoop Does It All



Coach Snoop is a Netflix original series that focuses on the trial and error of the Snoop Youth Football League. While the beat slingling, pot smoking, national icon is wild on camera, when around the kids, he tones it down. He acts similar to that of just about any other prideful coach you would find. He loves and cares for these kids, just like a father. The reason the Snoop Youth Football League was created, was to keep inner city California kids off the street and out of gangs. The series has you meet past SYFL stars that are making it to professional football. The series is very influential and real. Every episode had tension and a lesson to be learned.

The biggest thing that stood out to me while viewing the series was the attachment and relationship that Snoop Dogg had with these kids. For example, there was an instance where Snoop noticed a kid acting unlike himself. Snoop confronted the kid on a personal basis to figure out the problem. The kid went on to explain that his mother was having trouble paying rent that month. Snoop took this as an opportunity to use his wealth as a way to help people. To get his player back in the game, he told the kid to tell his mother that he will take care of the next six months of rent. This just shows how much Snoop cares about the livelihood of the kids he coaches. This definitely provokes emotion in the viewers, and creates an attachment with the show, which caused binging on my part.

Snoop Dogg uses more profanity on the field, than I do when I step on a Lego. I really enjoy that the show includes this in airing. There are two reasons why I am a fan of this. For one, my football coach acted no different. This is exactly how coaches act, and I am glad that they included the realism of the sport. The second reason, is that it adds comedic relief. I find it funny when Snoop goes off on a kid. But, Snoop only uses profanity as a use of language, not to tear one down. Snoop wouldn’t persay use profanity to punish the kid, but as a way of motivation. He uses profanity to get the kids fired up, and ready to do work on the field.

Every episode, Snoop narrates a small clip about his early life, and what got him interested in playing football. I enjoy learning more about Snoop, because I have enjoyed his music for many years now. I knew previously that he played football, and about the league, but this shows the great detail of the subject. It is interesting how Snoop got involved with football, and his desire to coach others to keep out of trouble. The show does state, that they have had some members end up in prison, but the turnout rate is good. The influence this league has on the kids is tremendous to me.

Coach Snoop will leave you in tears, from the emotion put into the care of these kids. The show will also make you laugh like never before. The emotions provoked by this show, will force anyone to continue watching. I would recommend this show to nearly anyone, as it reaches to a wide variety of audience. Coach Snoop is a show that I am glad I watched, it is a show that I will not forget. 

1 comment:

  1. This is a great post! I really liked the part about how Snoop builds a deeper connection with the kids he coaches.

    ReplyDelete