February 18, 2018

Disjointed: a Casual and Fun Watch



I have been very busy this week, so I have really been unable to get into any other new series. However, I decided because my impression of Disjointed was something nice to put on in the background, I had that on while I was doing my other homework. Thankfully I was very surprised about how much I enjoyed watching it in bits and pieces. The charm that I had talked about in last week’s post had continued to evolve as the series went on. One example of that would be how the intro to the show fast forwards itself after the third episode. The creators know how Netflix works, and that people probably weren’t going to take the time to get up and press the skip intro button. It was very funny the first time I encountered it, and thought it was going to be a one episode gag, but it’s not.

The series also has an overarching plot. Dank and Dabby turn out to be so Youtube famous, they collectively make $175,000/year (Disjointed). Carter, who is the security that checks the identification of the people who walk into the store as it is illegal to sell marijuana to people under 21, finally decides to try weed. He is a war veteran, and has very dramatic PTSD episodes, which are shown in psychedelic fashion in the show. Carter found that weed was able to help him relax (Disjointed). He quickly became my favorite character in the show. To see such a stuck up war hero become so relaxed so fast was calming, like he was finally enjoying life again.

These two and many more make Disjointed so entertaining. I had thought at the beginning that it was a mindless show made specifically for pot-smokers, and to some effect it still is. There are so many weird things happening, such as dancing perishables in the fridge after Carter tried weed for the first time (Disjointed). Those types of things are made for people who are in an altered state of mind, but I do really think that there is something here for everyone. The story stays simple, but every character has their own subplot going on within the story, and because it all takes place in a small shop, those stories intertwine. This leads to many, and I mean many, situations of dramatic irony, which makes the show all the more hilarious. Disjointed seems underrated to me, and I really do think it deserves more credit than it gets.

“Disjointed.” Disjointed, created by David Javerbaum, and Chuck Lorre, Netflix

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the great review, Noah! Disjointed is a show that I have not be able to get to on Netflix and reading your post has really gotten me interested! The Characters seem charming and the plot looks pretty simple! I'm beyond excited to try it out!

    ReplyDelete