December 3, 2017

Big Mouth

For my last post, I'll be writing to my old friend, you know who you are. The show I picked to write to you with is only fitting, as we were only 6th and 7th graders upon meeting one another. Things have changed since those days, and I can only hope that as we grow older, we may at least stay in touch and talk every so often. We've both changed a lot, and this show takes me back to the days before we grew up. I hope you enjoy my dedication to you, as I talk about one of the weirder shows I've seen. So, for this week, I watched a seemingly cute cartoon that everyone has been telling me I have to watch. That show is one of Netflix's newest originals, Big Mouth. The show centers around two middle school kids, Nick and Andrew. They're best friends that have just entered their years of starting puberty. The same as you and I when we had met. Man, what an awful time that was for us both. Nick and Andrew, just from the pilot episode, are already dealing with their emotions, hormones, and relationships. The first episode involved a middle school dance, and we all remember how those went--awfully. This might just be me, but I thought that part of the episode was incredibly unrealistic. How did one middle school kid simply approach another and ask them to dance? I would've been so awkward, face gone red, and would never be able to face them again. Also the fact that two friends just kissed each other and played it off cool? Wow. There’s no way I could’ve. Before the dance though, the two friends got in a fight, all based off their changing emotions and not having much control of how they feel. It reminded me of all those dumb fights we had, being insecure teenangers. There are occasional times I miss the simpler life, stressing out over the dumbest projects, a time when our grades didn’t really matter for much. Now we’re here, completely different people, figuring out where we stand in the world. In any case, I’m proud of where both of us stand. I’m also happy with the fact we never accidentally saw each other naked, prompting a week's worth of awkward confrontation with each other. I’m proud of the person you’ve discovered yourself to be, by the way. You seem to be figuring things out better than I am, even though I’m the older one. I guess that’s just a part of growing up. If you decide to check out the show, for sure let me know! I bet we’ll be able to laugh at the same scenes together and relate all their adventures back to our own lives. Let me know wherever you end up, don’t you forget about me little duck!

No comments:

Post a Comment