December 3, 2017

A Shot In The Dark

You know I had a difficult time looking up a show for this week. I considered watching Punisher, but I couldn't bear to drag myself into the Marvel TVU again. Besides, those were probably my worst written pieces, save for the Daredevil one. I then considered House of Cards, but I knew I couldn't resist the slightly outdated, but very touching Kevin Spacey jokes. I knew I had to find something new and interesting. Something I haven't covered yet, I had to go off the script to ultimately watch A Shot In the Dark.

It was hard for me to start the show, seeing as this post is season finale of these posts. I was glad I did try this show out. It is actually the most unique thing I have seen on the Netflix Originals roster. The show is a semi reality TV and documentary of stringers. Stringers is the term used to describe freelance cinematographers who actively hunt down news stories in hopes of selling the footage to news stations. Doesn't sound too interesting, except that the show covers three of these stringers in the city of Los Angeles. Which means that there is definitely a lot for them to film.

The show understands that you have about five minutes to capture someone's attention. So from the start they tell you that it is a lucrative business. While they don't give exact figures, they give a general idea of how much they can make, and how competitive it is. They'll tell you that on a good night they can make enough to pay a mortgage. While I don't know how true this is, it does make the show far more interesting. It gives it the slight edge of a competitive game show like the older seasons of Survivor. They try to get hits, or purchases of film. To get more hits they have to film an event well, and it has to be an interesting event worth reporting on.

I do have a concern about how long this show can continue. There is only so much that can happen in this world. By the second or third episode you seem to have scene just about all of the good stuff. Which is a shame, because this is the first truly unique show on Netflix. It's not scripted, well heavily scripted, and it does have a good mixing of genres.


Well this is it, the season finale of Timpleton Blogs. I think it's been a rather good experience for me to vent my initial thoughts of a show that I will probably never finish. Did this get tiring? yes, Marvel is what did me in. So I think it's good to take a break from this. If I come back to this it won't be a school project. That means I can expand beyond just Netflix and TV. Makes me happy, because I've really wanted to talk about video games, Bioshock Fallout New Vegas specifically. Thank you all who read these drabbles, and until next time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment