October 15, 2017

Scary for Halloween

Hi Mom and Dad! How are you guys? I think this is very weird, but I just want to say that your son is still fine. Half of the semester has passed, and I somehow still doing okay, and have not been kicked out of the school. I am just kidding because when I write these words to you guys, I really miss you. This week, I have a requirement to write a blog about Netflix's movie to my parents.  I know that this month is an important month for you, Dad; your birthday is on this month. Coincidentally, your birthday is matched with the Halloween, and it gives me an idea for my blog. I decide to write a blog about a Halloween's cartoon because you know that your son still loves cartoon.
 Because, when I was a kid, you and I used to watch Shrek with each other, so I chose to write about scary factors in the movie The Ghost of Lord Farquaad. This movie is from the series DreamWorks Spooky Stories which has three different scary cartoons. At the beginning, the filmmakers start with the sunny scene with a lot of light. How brilliant is that when you start a scary movie with a peaceful, lovely scene. When the audiences watch this scene, their feeling will be steady and enjoyable. Watching a romantic background with some hilarious action of Shrek and Donkey finding the way to the Honeymoon Hotel, the viewer cannot predict what will happen next. Then suddenly, the camera turns quickly to the completely contrasting scene. Shrek finds a shortcut to the Hotel; the way with spooky trees on the two sides of the way and absolutely dark at the end of the road. Have you ever seen a tree with the red devil eyes on it? If an adult has never seen it, how does a child supposed to see it?  Even a teenager like me also feel startled, so this quickly turn must scare the children to death.
            After a breathtaking chasing to recapture Fiona from a kidnapping, Shrek and Donkey enter a deadly graveyard. What is better than a graveyard for a scary Halloween night? Furthermore, this is a graveyard with fog floating around with free-flying ghost. This scene may not scary for a teenager like me, but with the kids, they have to sleep with their parents for a few days. Imagine you are going to the graveyard with your friend in the Halloween. You do not have any equipment to light thing up, and the only light resource which you have is the moonlight. The filmmakers understand the audiences' psychology very well. When people enter the place surrounds with mysterious creatures, they begin to visualize them with their imagination, especially for the kids who have an unlimited creativity. Importantly, the more they imagined the scary creatures, the more frightened they were. Psychology has pointed out that we actually do not afraid anything. The thing we are anxious the most is our imagination.

            When I watch this movie, I really missed you, Dad. Now, I have grown up, gone to the university, suddenly I realize that the time I spend with you and family is one of the best time I have ever had. I know your birthday is coming, and I cannot be there to celebrate with you. However, I still want to tell you: "Happy Birthday, Dad! I love you!"

No comments:

Post a Comment