October 16, 2017

Here's the thing about love:

The conscience thought of the protagonist, Taylor, is constantly running. “It is crazy how one person can change your life. That is the thing about love, at first everything about it seems to make since but the deeper you get the more you realise you know nothing about it. Love teaches you, love changes you, love makes you do things you never thought you could do.” This is the kind of movie that may help open up my mom’s eyes in rethinking the theory she has that: I will never trust my daughter's safety to be in the hands of any guy, because one will never fully know the intentions a guy may have, and guys do crazy stuff for love. You Get Me is a movie where these roles of the "crazy ex boyfriend" are flipped into the "crazy, oversexualized, vengeful, obsessed, murder-y, ex lover/girlfriend", named Holly. Holly, played by Bella Thorne, is portrayed as the sexy free spirited teenager, who becomes extremely fixated on a guy named Taylor. She then proceeds to destroy anyone or anything that stands in the way of their "romance”.
The first thing that I noticed while watching You Get Me was the cinematography. Even in the opening scene I was already in awe as to how beautiful and realistic one could portray the L.A. landscape. In a way all my senses were being put to use. You may think that this is an exaggeration on my part, but I could slightly feel the beachy wind blowing through my hair and whispering in my ears as it whistled on by. The slow piano music playing in the backdrop as Taylor, a teenage boy, (who we suspect to be the main character) begins his monologue about how wonderful his life is and how he met Ali, his wonderful girlfriend. “During the summer before my senior year…. My life became the Californian dream I had always wanted.” He had the great beach side job of bussing tables and things were going pretty well for him, but do not let me even get started on his picture perfect relationship with his girlfriend Ali. Taylor continues into saying something along the lines of: it is like everything had been in black and white and suddenly there was color (after Ali came along). While his monologue continues shots of Ali and him at the beach roll through the screen. I really enjoy this part because every shot looks so clean and precise yet so relaxed at the same time.
The cinematographer really succeeded in this scene because it makes the viewers feel something. First, this whole monologue, intro, scene makes us like we can relate. All the memories of past lovers come floating back into our thoughts, and our minds start to reminisce. The naturalism of You Get Me is unbelievable. This sense of naturalism ables the viewers to experience this extremely intense drama while still being able to find something relatable to Bella Thorne's character, Holly who has a mental illness. The story of teenage lovers combined with the obsession of the convoluted antagonist, Holly, really begins to make an irresistible story for both males and females.

Of course You Get Me was only a movie, but in many ways anyone could learn from the character Holly, and those that surrounded her. The directors use Taylor’s monologue to make the movie end exactly where it started off. In the closing scene, the audience is shown a black screen with Taylor’s voice coming from the backdrop, giving us his deep inner thoughts on life. “It is crazy how one person can change your life. That is the thing about love, at first everything about it seems to make since but the deeper you get the more you realise you know nothing about it. Love teaches you, love changes you, love makes you do things you never thought you could do.”

1 comment:

  1. I guess my daughter could have a point, but I will never change my thoughts. It is hard for a mother to trust her only daughter and her best friend in the hands of a boyfriend. A mother knows her daughter best and no one will protect her like a mom will. On the other hand, as a wife, I know love can do amazing things. The right man will go to any lengths to please the love of his life. I think this movie shows that aspect of love. Love can change a person, maybe for good, maybe for the worse. But I won't argue with my daughter that it will change a person. I still don't trust boys with my daughter's heart, but this movie opened my eyes to the possibility of maybe one day being able to trust the right man for my daughter.

    ReplyDelete