October 15, 2017

House of Cards

Dear Mom and Dad,

First of all, I think you’re really going to enjoy helping me with this homework assignment. I know I told you about these sort of assignments before, writing blog posts about Netflix shows. However, sometimes on these posts, we also need to get someone to respond to us. That’s where you come in! My teacher lined this up so that we’d be on break already for this assignment, where we need to get our parents to respond to our post. And, to make this easier on you guys, I decided to watch one of your favorite shows: House of Cards
I know how well you guys know me versus my relationship with politics. I can definitely say I never planned on watching this show, basically ever, despite all the hype that I’ve heard about it. House of Cards is probably the one show you never expected me to watch either, but I knew you’d be able to respond well if I wrote about one of your favorites.
I can honestly say that this show, at least to me, was terribly confusing. I’m not very aware of what’s going on in politics most of the time, I don’t know all the terms, or what office positions do what. I mean, honestly, I couldn’t tell you the main character’s name. However, I can see why you guys would like a show like this so much. I know politics and the way our country is run, as of right now, means more to you than it does to me. In the same way that technology means more to me than it does to you. What I’m getting at is that while I can enjoy a show like Black Mirror for the message it sends about people versus technology, you guys can enjoy seeing the inner workings of government affairs and be somewhat involved with the rivalries of office members.
While I’m happy to know approximately .0154% more about what you guys enjoy watching in your free time, I can’t say that I’ll be continuing with the show. That isn’t to say that I didn’t think it was a good show, or that there’s anything wrong with it. It’s just, you know, me being me, the topic of politics really isn’t my thing. I wasn’t sure most of the time what was really going on, who people were, and whose side I was supposed to be on. Also, I’m sorry, but I can only handle so many white dudes being passive aggressive with each other so much. Continue to love your show, and I can’t wait to see what y’all have to say! Love you guys

-Caroline

1 comment:

  1. So I completely understand why you were not drawn into HOC... when Mom and I watch it together, we are constantly asking each other questions about "who is who?" and "what is their title?" In fact, we find it helpful to say stuff like, "Seth (on HOC) is Spicy" or "Doug (on HOC) is John Kelly"

    Which brings us to another observation... as outrageous as the HOC storyline is, the current Presidential adminstration makes everything seem so much more plausible.

    That is scary.

    AND, drawing that same parallel between the Underwoods and the Trumps makes me feel that much more insignificant and frustrated... HOC makes us realize that as citizens of the United States our voices and our opinions carry no weight whatsoever. Once we vote a person into office, they are finished with us.

    I think you have shown a smidgen more interest in politics since November 2016, and I hope you will want to cast your vote during the 2018 mid-term elections... stay interested, and I will try to answer your questions.

    And, let me know if you ever want to watch an episode or two together.

    ReplyDelete