January 28, 2018

Maybe I'm Not A Psychopath...



“I’m James, I’m 17, and I think I’m a psychopath” the series opens up with this gut wrenching memorable quote. The End of the F*cking World is a recently added Netflix Original that focuses on the journey of James and Allison in what seems to be a dark adaptation of Bonnie & Clyde. This rollercoaster of emotions had me on the edge of my seat (my bed) the whole time.

The story is not very clear for the first couple episodes. A lot happens in the first few episodes with no apparent linear progressive story. The story ties itself back around in a way that is not expected. The biggest thing that kept me watching through the entire series was the fact that there was not a dry moment at all. From the time that the episode starts, to the time that the title appears on the credits screen, continuous jaw-dropping moments occur. A big issue that I had with the way the television series was created, is that nearly every episode, they will show the ending of the episode, and then retract to show what led to it. This bothers me because I know what happens before its shown. For most episodes, the ending that they show is not giving away many details, but for a few, it made the episodes very predictable.

The graphical representation throughout the series was incredible. The use of blood and the graphic content of doing so was very well done. There was a specific scene where the main girl Allison is being attacked and James stabs the guy. Blood pours from the guys’ neck all over the girl. The visuals of this scene were absolutely throw up provoking, it really displayed the feelings of the scene for all characters. Another issue that I found with the show, is that the cast is British. The lingo and vocabulary was different than that of my culture, and I found myself, sometimes not quite understanding what was said. I didn’t know any of the cast members, so it was a little difficult to find a relation between myself and them. The advantage of having a cast of unknown actors and actresses, is that an audience member doesn’t have a relation to another movie with that character. For example. When viewing Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls, Jim Carrey portrays a very whacky and goofy individual, but when viewing The Number 23, I find it much harder to take Jim Carrey seriously in a drama/thriller role.

The End of the F*cking World is a Netflix Original series that explores the love and adventure of an almost couple on the run. The rise and fall of emotions and characters keeps the tension at maximum. Like a book that refuses to let you stop turning the pages, The End of the F*cking World is a series that will provoke a massive binge. Already knowing the story, I

Would find it hard to watch it again, but watching it for the first time will definitely not be a regret.

No comments:

Post a Comment