September 1, 2017

Daredevil

This week, I decided to take on the pilot episode of the series Daredevil as it had been recommended to me by one of my friends. I am a fan of the movies based around Marvel characters, so I had rather high hopes going into this. Granted, I did not watch past the first episode, which I may decide to do in the future, but I found the start to be just okay. Had I not known this show was from Marvel, I wouldn't realize we were about to follow a superhero.

Yes, the show was not my favorite, however the directors did make some interesting choices. One of the better aspects was the usage of lighting. In most of the scenes, the lighting is dim. Pretty straight forward. However, I felt it was used to reflect the main character, Matt Murdock. He is shown as being more mysterious and closed off, to the point. He doesn't need lavish things and prefers the lights to be darker. It's also fair to mention he is blind. The director most likely added in this detail in order for us to relate to our main character more, and see and appreciate things from his perspective (no pun intended). We better understand what it's like to live in a darker world.

One thing I felt as though the pilot struggled with was figuring out what genre it was. At many different points, I felt like it was a completely different premise, and almost made the viewer get lost. There were fight scenes, displaying the show as an action, which I had assumed the whole show would be for the most part. Yet even then, while the show is about a supposed "superhero", it still showed him as a guy fighting local thugs. Later, Matt and his friend Foggy Nelson started up a law firm together, and during scenes of their practice, it seemed like they wanted it to be more political and law-oriented. The show almost tries to take up a good cop/bad cop dynamic between the two, but doesn't quiet get there. Every now and then, the show would throw in comedic elements, almost as though just to say there were comedic moments. And after all that, there is already romantic tension between Matt, and, ironically enough, Murdock and Nelson's first client, Karen Page. While most shows don't focus on one specific genre the entire time, this one seemed to get lost in itself and didn't truly establish what it wanted to be. Going away from the first episode, I wasn't really sure what section I would put a show like this in.

The show itself was not terrible, don't get me wrong. However, had I not heard great things from my friends, I'm not too sure if I would consider watching on. While the pilot typically tends to be the worst and most chaotic episode, this one doesn't seem to show much potential for a pick up. Any positivity about the show would be appreciated, as I would like to be able to watch a stellar series from the Marvel universe!

3 comments:

  1. Even though I haven't seen the show (and I don't quite have a good grasp of who all these characters are), I don't think it is inherently bad that you can't put a show into a fixed genre. Isn't that what makes shows exciting??? If it followed one standard cookie-cutter genre format, I think it would grow boring. Think of any CSI Crime Show or its variants. You know the plot outline of each show; you have the standard flat characters that don't change too much. I think it's thrilling to see genre blends (especially when well done). As I said earlier, I haven't seen this show, so I can't comment on how good this show achieves that goal. It is something I would keep searching for as a I watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No offense, but I don't think you understood the show. It's not about "Marvel" and "superheroes." It's a realistic, dark take on a character. This is why I get so fed up with Marvel movies. THEY. ARE. ALL. THE. SAME. This is why the Dark Knight trilogy is amazing. It's different! This show is a courtroom crime action thriller that just happens to have Marvel characters. Basically, The Dark Knight is Law & Order or CSI with Batman characters. Logan was the same way. It was a western neo noir similar to No Country for Old Men and Hell or High Water. Not to mention, almost every movie has "comedic" moments in them. Classics such as The Godfather, Inception, Pulp Fiction, and even the Lord of the Rings films have comedic moments in them, but I would be beyond hard pressed to ever call them comedies. Try watching the show without looking at it as a Marvel show. Also, who told you the show wasn't very good? Almost every review for it are glowing and usually call it the best comic book show on television.

    ReplyDelete