August 27, 2017

Atypical: Normalizing the abnormal


In an attempt to branch out and find new shows, I chose to watch Atypical. Having never seen it nor heard of it, I read the brief description on Netflix and settled in with comfort food, my dog, and an understanding that I may not enjoy this show. It focuses on a young boy who is on the spectrum and is ready to start dating. On the spectrum means that he is learning disabled, or has an IQ under 70. This typically references things such as Downs Syndrome, Autism, or other illnesses. Having grown up around kids like this as my mother was a Special Education teacher for most of my life, I had certain preconceived notions as to how the main character should be portrayed, and I felt apprehension to actually start it due to how I already feel about people on the spectrum. I want their lifestyles to be done justice and there are many wrong ideas as to how they really live so I was nervous to see if this show would play in to the societal idea of those on the spectrum or the true life they live.

                About ten minutes in the show I started to form my own opinions and some of them weren’t the greatest, but most were very spot on to what I was hoping would be portrayed. The reference to people not on the spectrum as “typicals” is close to how “normal” people are viewed, however I was met with a backtrack when they used the phrase “autistic kid”. That phrase typically brings about the mental implication that the person is their illness before they are a human and all these kids want is to just be treated like a real person. While I spent a lot of time closely analyzing the portrayal of the life of Sam and his family, I still took time to enjoy the show and its production value.

The use of the cameras to differentiate when Sam was thinking to himself and moving into his own world helped the viewer understand when he wasn’t rooted in reality. This helped show how things in the head of those on the spectrum varies. The scene where Sam gets “twat” stuck in his head is a very real thing that happens in those with autism, and can ruin many social situations. The show progresses and continues to portray the struggles that a family with a member on the spectrum may face. From the detailed birthday present never being enough to the loss of a personal life all family members feel in an effort to take care of their affected child/sibling, Netflix portrayed many of the problems in an honest light. It took a fair amount of time to figure out what Sam was affected with as the show didn’t go out and say what disabled him. However, once it became apparent that autism was a part of him, the show went in to more detail about the way it affects people and some of the ways that it can be handled.

With all respects given, Atypical does a very good job at portraying the life of those affected by autism. From the handling of the added stress by the parents and sister, to the friend who stands in a position of support and offers normalcy, most of what was shown was accurate. The important distinction to make if you plan to watch is that while this show is accurate in the type of life those affected by autism can live, it is glorified as well. Sam has high-functioning autism which allows him to work a job and go to school like a normal person. He is also just one person, and autism is different for everyone. Given my history with those who have been affected and the idea I already had of how the show was going to portray those affected, I have to admit my pleasant surprise at the ability to actually do it all justice. I plan to continue watching and seeing how things play out and the types of challenges Sam will face.

4 comments:

  1. I just started watching this show last night, and I couldn't agree more with what you said. I have several close friends or family members on the spectrum, and to me, this show made me hopeful (which I think is basically the message the counselor is saying to the mom in the show).
    I think there is also a ton of beauty to Sam's narration and how it parallels into that plot of that pilot episode. I was sobbing towards the end with the bit about penguins being better than humans. It's matter of fact, sometimes simple, but honest and true. That for me is what will keep me watching the show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great read!! You should watch White Collar and post about it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read this article by the NYT about a man with autism and his mother's response to his future. I think it makes for a nice companion to the series: https://nyti.ms/2wqbBhC

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read this article by the NYT about a man with autism and his mother's response to his future. I think it makes for a nice companion to the series: https://nyti.ms/2wqbBhC

    ReplyDelete