August 27, 2017

Tales by Light: The Photographer's Dream Show

Searching for something new on Netflix this week, I stumbled upon an interesting looking documentary focused on the art of travel photography. I ended up picking this documentary entitled Tales by Light perhaps due to the fact that my boyfriend is a photographer but also because I find travel photography incredibly captivating. The documentary currently has two seasons, both with six episodes each and all entitled with the region or subject of the photographer so that viewers can easily choose one to watch on a subject that interests them.

"Himalaya," the second episode in the first season, focused on the photography of Richard I'Anson as he captured the rich history in the various festivals and wildlife in India. I really appreciated the smoothness of the camera as it curiously glossed around the surroundings, much like how a viewer would if he or she was actually there observing for the first time. Often through the episode as I'Anson spoke over the video explaining his experience in taking photos, the scene was interjected with his actual pictures almost like a slideshow. I thought this was particularly interesting because the editors of the show wanted the audience to have that advantage of seeing the "backstage" aspect of photography.  Seeing him taking the photo and transitioning into the real shots allowed the viewer got a complete view of the event, again like he or she was right there with him. Even more so, the editors included the click of the camera when showing his pictures to give a spectacular auditory layer of inclusion in the event. 

Later, I'Anson took part in capturing the famous Festival of Holi, in which the people of India throw colorful powder and celebrate regrowth and joy for the coming year. As you could imagine, the scene is set in complete explosions of vibrant color and rapid movement. I thought it was a brilliant touch to manipulate the video into slow motion so the audience could take time to look around within the frame and take in everything that was happening. I'Anson really dove into the culture by allowing the Indian women to hit him with wet clothes as he walked by, something that is truly just a norm for the occasion among locals. When his photos from the festival were interjected that time, the viewer could easily tell the level of passion and movement caught in each and every shot.

To compliment the final slow motion video of the mountains via helicopter, I'Anson ends saying that photography can be simply a visual record of a place visited or it can be a window into the deeper, more diverse places of the world, providing other photographers watching with an option to make that choice for themselves. 

4 comments:

  1. I never really took the time to think of slow motion as an opportunity for the audience to take in and appreciate the scene. I'm definitely going to be thinking about this the next time I come across it in a film now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you like photography, you should check out White Collar! Every scene has perfect picture quality!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVED that show-- watched the whole thing twice. I definitely agree about the great quality, and not to mention a stellar plot.

      Delete
  3. I went back and watched the rest of the first season and I can confirm the remaining episodes are just as amazing as " Himalaya." I particularly took an interest in episode three entitled "Adrenaline" that I initially chose purely for the eye-catching title. A female adventure photographer, Krystle Wright, captured some fantastic moments of people doing maybe reckless and definitely impressive activities (for example high lining) that are packed with excitement and, well, adrenaline. Once again, I love how every episode is focused on a different region and style of photography so that viewers can appreciate all aspects of the art.

    ReplyDelete