March 11, 2018

To Turn Yourself In or Not?

Hey Mom! You get to read another post for the class that I watch Netflix for and write posts about.

Seven Seconds is a suspense-filled show about a 15-year-old boy that is critically injured in a hit and run. Turns out, he ends up dying, but I haven’t made that far yet. The person who hit him is a cop, and this leads to a cover-up. The show is set in Jersey City. I’ve only watched the first episode and I’m hooked. I really think you would enjoy this show because it’s another show about cops and solving crimes, which in this case is a hit and run that turns into a murder too. It really reminds me of Chicago PD, which we both used to watch together every Wednesday (I think, maybe it was Thursday).

The characters and the police department remind me of Chicago PD. The police officers in the first episode remind me of the main characters in Chicago PD because you have the bad cops in both. The officer that committed the hit and run is new to the department and he called his boss when he realized what had happened and his boss told him to drive away and that he’d take care of the evidence. I don’t know the names of the characters yet, but the man who hit and ran didn’t want to leave and then wanted to turn himself in after the fact, but his boss told him that it wasn’t a good idea. The officer was white and the boy that was hit is black. Therefore, the boss told him that if he turned himself in, he would be hit with the crimes of Ferguson and the other crimes that have occurred with white officers and black victims.

Something else that reminds me of Chicago PD is that the building the officers are in in both shows looks dated. They both seem to be older buildings and haven’t been updated recently. They aren’t the new buildings you see in shows like Law & Order: SVU. The woman working in the front in both shows is also an older woman who looks kind of grouchy. I know in Chicago PD the woman who works in the front is sort of grouchy before the cops get to know her and once they get acquainted with her she is really a nice person who is there to help. I feel like the woman in Seven Seconds is probably like this too, but I’ve only seen her in one scene with the new officer who hit and ran. In that same scene, I noticed that the walls were a dull green color and the lighting was also pretty dark. This reminded me of how the building looked dated like I mentioned before.

What is interesting with this show and is different from the other shows we’ve watched is that you get to see the lives of not only the cops investigating, but also the attorney’s and others working the case, the victim’s family, and the family of the officer that committed the hit and run. At first, it was confusing because I thought the attorney for the suspect was the boy’s mom that is hurt. They both looked really similar and it wasn’t until about halfway through that I finally realized the two were separate people. As the show went on though, it became clear that the two were not the same person. They weren’t driving the same vehicles, one was at a bar while the other was at a worship practice at a church, and then they were finally in the same scene together.

Thanks for reading another post mom, I hope you enjoyed it!

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like a good show that we would enjoy watching together.

    ReplyDelete