December 13, 2017

The Crown

Brenda,

 In the 18 years that I’ve been alive, I cannot remember a time when you were not a part of my life. You were there for me in my most awkward phases and happiest times. Even now that we live an entire state apart, you are constantly there for me. It will never cease to amaze me how willing you are to give of yourself and your time to friends and strangers alike. I am so thankful for all of the memories that we’ve created for ourselves, but one of my favorite memories is the time we spent watching Downton Abbey in my early highschool years. That show was so powerful to me, and it was all the more special because I got to watch it with one of my favorite people ever (you)!

If you’re confused as to why I’m writing about all of this, I hope to make that clear shortly. Recently, I was able to sit down and watch the Netflix Original series The Crown. It has a lot of similar qualities to Downton Abbey, which is why I think you might enjoy it. Without giving too much away, the plot of the show focuses on the marriage and reign of Queen Elizabeth II. Downton Abbey actually occurs about 35 years prior to the start of The Crown, meaning that Queen Elizabeth’s father, King George VI, would have been in power during the plot of Downton Abbey.

 Although these shows have some obvious similarities, such as setting and time period, they are actually quite different. As you’re well aware, Downton Abbey is a show filled with drama and tragedy. Although there are certainly dramatic moments in The Crown, the show’s main focus is far more political. There are moments of romantic drama and heartbreaking tragedy, but as a whole series, I find The Crown to be a far more mentally engaging show. Don’t get me wrong, I will always be an avid fan of Downton Abbey and the entire Crawley family, but something about the dialogue and content in The Crown provides a much fuller entertainment experience.

Overall, I hope you will consider watching The Crown with me when I am home in just a few short days. Speaking from experience, it is a show that you will not easily walk away from. In my opinion, it is wonderful and captivating, and I think you would get a lot out of it. I can’t wait to hear your thoughts!!

No comments:

Post a Comment