November 5, 2017

To Round Out The Series: Marvel's Defenders

To round out the mini series of the Marvel shows we have the Defenders. The TV version of the grittier Avengers. Allowing the Netflix Universe heroes to meet up and fight a singular foe that has been built up over the course of the individual character's shows. I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting much out of this show. It's just the way these things go, you have different narratives, and different characters from different shows, written by different writers, and something is just bound to got the way of Murphy's Law.

Fortunately, I can say that it mostly hasn't, the characters are mostly intact. Save for Jessica Jones going from being mildly abrasive to everyone to being a full on bitch. Now that I mention it, all characters are a little strange. Daredevil can't seem to decide if he wants to be the wise crack of the group or a slightly more broody Batman. Luke Cage is mostly untouched as a character, of course he's less comic relief than his initial appearance, no doubt to make way for the hilarious wise cracks of the Catholic Batman. With Iron Fist they seem to have doubled down on the weird monk thing. Iron Fist and Luke Cage also have this really contrived group dissent that really doesn't add up to anything other than a fight.

The plot itself is refreshingly simple compared to most plots of the super hero genre. Evil secret group exists, they want to destroy a city, and our heroes are trying to stop them. All characters and subplots can dance around that. It has the same pacing that I've come to expect from the rest of the shows except the smaller arcs are super condensed and the larger arcs are really extended. To be honest I only really watched the show as long as I did because I wanted to see these characters fight as a team. You know how long that took to get them on screen together? 3 hours, and it wasn't really them fighting as a team so much as four people flailing around with other opponents.

To keep harping on that overarching plot's pacing I'm going to talk about how the subplots fit into it. They are the plot, and not in the good way. They instead feel like miniature stories strung together in the same vague way everyone gets into a fight during a fighting game. The story feels disjointed in this manner, and it doesn't help if you haven't watched all of the shows. To give an example in the vaguest sense, Luke Cage and Iron Fist meet and fight in an alley. In the last scene we saw Cage he was tracking down a kid that he didn't know the location of. The same kid that Iron Fist was about to beat up. It doesn't really flow and all it makes me do is wonder when they'll all fight together. I know that the more work you put into something and the longer you wait the more rewarding something is. At this point all they have to do is slap a single guy in unison and I will make like a butcher.

I know I seem like I'm being hard on this show, but I feel like I have some pent up aggression after watching these shows back to back for a month, or my increasing mental instability, (lets not dwell on that). If there's a lesson here it's that, no matter how good an individual scene is, if it doesn't fit the narrative, or generally doesn't make sense you should remove it. If you have a show based on mostly strong scenes with little connection, then the show will crumble if you really look at it. Do I recommend it? To give the most bland and cop out answer, if you liked the other Marvel shows you will like this one.



I do feel like there's an obligatory tier list expected of me after doing all the shows mostly in sequence and here it is

1. Daredevil (no surprise, I know I took some digs at the character this episode, but I think he's the most interesting and has the most at stake as a character)

2. Luke Cage (by far the most fun, and I always liked Cage when he's on screen)
3. Defenders (For the most part I scaled this by fun, and quality of the show itself. I seemed hard on it, but I think that is Marvel fatigue. It's fun when it wants to be)

4. Jessica Jones (There are two people in this world, those who adore this show and those that don't. I feel like I went the hardest on this show. I do think it's well put together, and I can see why so many people enjoy it)

5. Iron Fist (Yeah… I know I talked all last week about how much I enjoyed this, but I did say that is was mostly because how dumb it could be. I watched it further past the review and it started to really show its cracks)


I like to think that these posts have varied in quality to match the show I was discussing. A perfect way to round out the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment