November 10, 2017

Narcos

Dear Mrs. Stanley,
Narcos is Set and filmed in Colombia, and tell the story of drug kingpin Pablo Escobar, who became a billionaire through the production and distribution of cocaine, while also focusing on Escobar's interactions with drug lords, Drug Enforcement Administration agents, and various opposition entities.  It is told through the perspective of Steve Murphy, an American DEA agent working in Colombia. The series depicts how Escobar first became involved in the cocaine trade in Colombia. He was an moving trucks worth of illegal goods (alcohol, cigarettes, and household appliances) into Colombia during a time when this was strictly forbidden, when introduced to "Cockroach” who made cocaine he pitched the idea that they go into business together, with “Cockroach” producing and Escobar distributing the new, profitable drug.
I believe that this is a show that you would absolutely fall in love with if you watched it. In high school I had you for so many different classes including Criminal Justice and Spanish, through these classes and various other times spent with you I learned a lot about you and both of these subjects. I know that you have visited South America many times and absolutely loved it, I feel like the aspect of the show being shot down there and portraying It well you would really enjoy. Along with the fact we’ve had Criminal Justice together and even talked about Pablo Escobar and how he ran the drug trade, he was easily the best drug trafficker of his time. I know that you really enjoy talking and learning about drug trade and things of that nature and really think you would enjoy watching it and hearing the story from a perspective instead of reading about it. It is a unique opportunity to feel like you are right there front and center with the action.
I think that both of these aspects of this show are things that are very important to you and you really enjoy. Together they sit well and make it an even better fit for you. I really enjoy the show because even though it is not real a lot of the facts and general substance of the show and information on Pablo Escobar is extremely accurate. They used mostly correct information and because of this you can see yourself In a way how all of this went down including how Escobar got around and how he profited all the way to how cocaine is made and distributed. For me I feel like this was really interesting and a lot more enjoyable to watch and learn that way rather than reading it and trying to make an image in my head.

Overall I think you would really enjoy this show and you should definitely watch it sometime and see if you like it just as much as I do. 

1 comment:

  1. I have never been one to watch a lot of television but you made a lot of good points about my love for Spanish and crime. I think that I may play an episode for my criminal justice class this year when we get to the unit on drugs (since you know I like to take a break from teaching). I hope that it would benefit them to see how it works in a movie form rather than being bored and talking about it and hopefully they will be as interested in it as you are.

    ReplyDelete