November 19, 2017

Slasher

For this week, I decided to write about a show that is slowly becoming near and dear to my heart. I don’t think I gave this show enough credit the last few weeks, even though I had been writing my genre paper all about it. The paper, after a while, was not necessarily something I had been taking seriously just because I honestly had no idea what I was doing. I was focusing on other assignments as well, so I only wrote about the pilot episode of my chosen show. That I consider to be one of my biggest mistakes about that paper. So, when I got home for break, I decided I needed something to binge if I was ever just sitting in my room. I thought, well, what about this one show that I hadn’t gotten the chance to before. In that, for this week’s blog, I decided to write a sort of update on my newest binge show, Slasher.
Now, I know I’ve stated before my love dystopian shows and things of that nature. In that, shows where everything is going wrong is sort of just a knock off dystopian, so I still enjoy it. I also just love the horror genre in general. Slasher has definitely been doing a great job at being a horror show, with all the gruesome moments I’ve witnessed and suspenseful scenes, especially when I as an audience member knows something that everyone else should know about too (such as the whereabouts of a lost girl). Also, for being an underrated Netflix Original, I think they’re doing a pretty good job at getting the audience hooked. I have been dying to know who “The Executioner” is every episode. Any time we seem to get clues about who it could possibly be, the show seems to give a reason why it’s not that person. More on The Executioner, the costume design for him is so well done that I’m always terrified every time we see him. I only refer to him as “him” because every time he’s spoken, it seems very low and raspy, and definitely more masculine. Maybe that’s a way to throw us off, but for now, it’s him. The Executioner is all dressed up, head to toe, in a black cloak and mask. He even wears black gloves to cover his hand, and though we haven’t seen a ton of close ups, it seems there’s also black makeup around his eyes so you can’t even see anything under the mask. I hate to say it, but the guy eerily looks like a KKK member with the way he’s dressed. However, that may be done on purpose. One of the biggest lead in the case to solving who the murderer is is that the police and Sarah, the protagonist, believe the murders are being carried out based on the seven deadly sins, with the killings replicating the biblical punishments for each sin. Supposedly, the killings are religion based. Going into these speculations more, or should I say, who’s speculating them, Sarah is still playing the amateur sleuth in the series. If anything, each of the genres picked for the show, horror and mystery, are simply being more solidified. We see all the gruesome murders play out, and get to feel the suspense of those preyed, but we also get an inside look at the investigations and speculations.

In all, I’m excited to continue the series, and hope to maybe even finish the second season by the end of next week. Of course, all wishful thinking, but it’s possible. As long as I’m not socializing too much. Anyway, back to binging it is!

1 comment:

  1. This show sounds pretty intriguing. What do you think sets it apart from other similar murder mystery or “whodunnit” types of stories? What do you think makes it underrated? Comparing to other Netflix Originals that have really taken off, what does this show lack?
    You mention the theme of seven deadly sins, do you think this can allow the audience to predict what might happen next or the next victim? Do you think this motive gives any clue to the identity of the Executioner? As someone who has never watched the show, I would be looking for characters who possibly have a tie (or a feud) with something religious in nature (maybe a family past or something they claim to want justice for...etc.)

    ReplyDelete