November 26, 2017

One Day at A Time: Old People Are Very Cool

In the episode Pride & Prejudice, Penelope’s daughter Elena came out to her when they were having a sex talk. Penelope tried to accept it and be open-minded, but she still felt weird about Elena’s coming out. Elena also came out to her religious gramma Lydia, who was thought to be the most stubborn person. However, Lydia figured it out after ten seconds that she is going to against the Pope and God on the issue of being gay because Elena is her granddaughter. She loves Elena and she wants her to be happy. In the last episode, Elena’s father, Victor knew about this, he did not have a father-daughter dance with Elena in Elena’s Quinces leaving Elena in sadness and embarrassment. Something the old people are cooler than us and they are more open-minded.  
Their reaction to the issue of being gay reminds me my own family, though nobody comes out in my family. But the similarity between Penelope’s family and my family is that old people are more opened-mind.
When I  graduated from high school, I planned to apply a school which is very far away from our province because the major that I wanted to study only offered in few school. My grandpa supported me to purchase my dream and do something that I really like, while my father kept calling me everyday to make sure I only apply the school in our province. He even said that if I study in other provinces, he would stop support me economically. It turned out that I did not get support from my father, neither did I go to the local University.
When I was noticed that I got a four-year full scholarship in Truman, I was told by my family that the scholarship is not real. My grandpa supported me as usual, and my father still kept calling me and telling me to stop. We had a  bitter quarrel on the phone. This time, he said he would not be my father if I go to the U.S. Blood is Blood anyway, he is still my father at least biologically.
Another example of how cool my grandpa is was that he started to use a smartphone in his 80s and I tried to teach him everything I can. One thing very inspired me was that he trusted the mobile pay, while my father would never trust the internet. Nobody going to steal your money. There are many things happening  in China at the same time, even I need some time to be comfortable with the innovation. It took me a few weeks to get used to the mobile pay. I am so proud of my grandpa that he tried to catch up.

1 comment:

  1. After I finishing writing this blog post, I called my grandpa and ask him how his mobile life going. He told me he is getting more comfortable with the smart phone. He uses his smart phone to pay for his monthly bill and browse news or other ongoing topic. I told him to be aware of the false news/ideas on the internet, he told me that he know how to distinguish these message. He also gave me an example that how a message is totally incorrect. Maybe it is very common for American old people to use smart phone/ computer, but it is not in China especially in rural are. The old generation is not well educated, so I am very proud of my grandpa.

    ReplyDelete