September 8, 2017

The Keepers

Okay, guys, I just watched the first episode of this show called The Keepers. Initially I chose it because of the odd cover art they chose-- a simple black and white head shot of a nun with the face peeled and under it a white space with the name of the show. At first I was like wait, what? Keepers of what? Our sins? Is that even what nuns do? Is it about keeping secrets? Is it one of those religion-gone-rogue kind of deals? After about the third question I was like okay I'm done scrolling, I have to find out what the heck is going on with this show.

If you're somebody who is still intrigued and a little stressed about the Kurt Cobain death, you generally enjoy watching killers get caught (or at least the process because *spoiler* you don't find out exactly who did it in the first episode), or you think watching badass grandmas try and figure out who killed their favorite teacher from the 60's is slightly interesting, you should check out the show. I, myself, am one of those people I described up there that loves murder mysteries; I can really get into a good James Patterson and Taken movie. This show is not only interesting because it's from an odd perspective, but it's about a person that you don't always expect to be in the headlines in a 45+ year open case... in other words, it's cool.

In class the other day we watched that CineFix video about the camera angles and what they said about the low angle vs. high angle stuck out to me particularly in the opening part of the episode. It starts out at a low angle of this old guy in an ancient looking grey sweatshirt heading up some creaky and creepy stairs into some sort of attic. Following that, there were various types of zoom that looked like the camera was coming from the point of view of someone who snuck up there and was trying to video him for evidence. That whole combo got my brain on hyperdrive like oh shit this is the killer, we're totally seeing a reenactment of the killing or something. The next shot was an interview-like frame and his name popped up and also his job title... He was the lead journalist... Turns out I was just super excited/paranoid/nervous. Oops.

Anywho, as the episode continues I became less and less focused on the editing and style of the piece (AKA essentially what we're supposed to be doing for the class) and before I knew it I was fully into trying to find out what on Earth happened to Sister Catherine. That being said, I recognized some amateur-looking shots and techniques in the beginning (like the odd zoom and misleading point of view) but as the show went on it either transitioned into something really professional or I was too into the show to pay attention to the effects, or perhaps both. Who knows, that's kind of cool too if they did shift into more professional shots because it might have been their goal to make you pay attention and blend the effects into the back of your mind. It's a must see and I will be watching the rest of it (and hopefully paying more attention to the techniques) so let me know your thoughts if you decide to give it a try!

1 comment:

  1. Off the bat it was evident that you made a point to write the post in your own voice. It gives the writing some personality, and like we mentioned in class, it generally makes the writing more enjoyable to read. I like how you mentioned that the cover art for the series was what got you interested in watching. Editors and directors definitely put effort into making the cover art as attractive as possible. Additionally, I enjoy how you mentioned the questions that both the title of the show and the cover art put together brought up. The introductory paragraph, while it definitely grabbed my attention and was interesting to read, it would be beneficial if it included a bit more about what the rest of the blog post was was going to be about. Writing about how the subtle camera angles mixed in with amateur/ professional camera angles and how they blended the show is excellent; however, setting up these talking points in the first paragraph of the blog post further sets up the entire post, allowing the reader to have a better handle on the meaning and intent behind the entire piece.

    ReplyDelete