April 3, 2018

Edible and Nostalgic

Hi grandma. I know that I’ve told you about my writing class, and this is it. This week for my show that I watched I watched the Netflix original show, Nailed It. In the show contestants try to recreate a series of cakes made by experts in a very short time period. The catch of the show, though, is that none of the contestants have any history or knowledge of baking. After they make their cakes judges appraise their cakes based on closeness to the original in terms of looks and also the taste of their cakes. This happens in two rounds with the winner of round one winning some sort of prize and round two’s winner receiving $10,000.

Overall I did not really enjoy this show. I found it very cringey and uncomfortable, for the contestants had no clue what they were doing. I also did not really enjoy the humor of the show’s host. That being said the one thing I greatly enjoyed from the show was the feelings of nostalgia. Watching this show reminded me of the times where I would stay at your house and watch tv with you and grandpa. I remember watching the show Chopped on quite a few evenings, and this show reminded me of those days. I do believe Chopped was a much better show, though. Watching Nailed It, just brought of good feelings and memories from that time, though, for Chopped I think was my favorite show we watched ( I definitely enjoyed it more than the news or the weather channel).

Nailed It also made me think of your baking skills (which are leaps and bounds ahead of those on the show). I mean, I have three of your cakes with me now, and they are fantastic. In the show, multiple contestants make mistakes like forgetting to add eggs, not letting their cake cool before decorating, and a multitude of other mistakes. One mistake that stuck out to me in particular was a set of people who have overfilled their cake pans, forced them to overflow, and burn to the bottom of oven. With how many cakes you have made, and I have seen you make, it’s hard for me to imagine you making these kinds of mistakes. One cake, in particular, that you made, that I remember and often thought of while watching this show, was Uncle Dave’, camo,  rehearsal dinner cake. I found this cake to be hilarious and very tasty. The problem solving manner needed to bake that cake was reminiscent of the show to me. This stems from the fact that these bakers have little experience with the level of cooking needed to succeed.

Overall, the memories and sense of nostalgia this show brought to me were the most positive aspects of the show. That being said, if you ever had the opportunity to go onto the show, grandma, you definitely should, you would sweep the competition. All that I ask is that you share some of that $10,000 with me. I accept cash, checks, cards, cakes and care packages!

No comments:

Post a Comment