October 27, 2017

13 Reasons Why

13 Reasons why

Dear future Daughter,

             13 Reasons Why is about Hannah, a young woman who takes her own life. Two weeks after her tragic death, a classmate named Clay finds a mysterious box on his porch. Inside the box are recordings made by Hannah (on whom Clay had a crush) in which she explains the 13 reasons why she chose to commit suicide. If Clay decides to listen to the recordings, he will find out if and how he made the list. It goes through a tale of slut shaming, rape, stalkers and even more that led her on her way to ending her life. This story is tragic and sad; it opens up a talk about suicide and why it happens so much. In our society today it is a big issue and I can only hope when you get here and grow up it’s not as much of an issue.

            When I first started watching this TV series I thought of myself as her and put myself in her shoes, now I am not, I am thinking of you instead. I hope that growing up you will not have to deal with any of the things that Hannah did and that if you do you will come to me so I can help you. I am terrified of the possibility of you ending your own life. As a mother you always want to outlive your children and if you don’t it is truly heartbreaking. I hope to raise you strong and independent and that you will stand up against things like this even if it never happens to you. In life some of these people who feel like suicide is their best option, sometimes all they need is someone to step in and ask them about their day or stop a bully any little thing can make such an impact. All they have to see sometimes is that someone does truly care and that they are loved and it will make a world of difference.

            Throughout my life I have dealt with things that have tore me down, that have shattered me and I have got back up and fought it. But I will admit it was not my only thought; I have had thoughts and I hate to admit it. I have been depressed and the only thing that got me out of it was that my friends and family love me, and I could never do that to them. I hope that if you are ever in this situation yourself that you will remember that we all love you so much and also remember that you can come to me. I don’t want to just be the person that gave birth to you, I want to be the best mother I possibly can be, I want to be there for you no matter what, I want to be your friend. I will be your shoulder to cry on and I will stand by your side through anything because above all else I am your  mother and I love you with all my heart. 




No comments:

Post a Comment